Estimated Reading Time 2 minutes
2016’s Google changes and updates across PPC & SEO
2016 has been a turbulent year for us all with life changing events such as Brexit, various high profile celebrity deaths and Trump taking over the US. It wasn’t all bad news however, with the Queen turning 90, British success at the Rio Olympics and how could we forget Boaty McBoatface. You can see more of 2016’s trends here.
It wasn’t all about trends this year though, in the digital search community we also endured a large amount of changes, which made us adapt and progress. Below we have outlined a timeline of search events which impacted the Google search results page and in effect PPC and SEO strategies across all businesses and industries!
- January: Google Core Algorithm Update
- February: AdWord Adverts Removed from Right Side Bar
- April: Facebook Launch Live Streaming
- May: Mobile Ranking Algorithm Boost
- June: AdWords Introduce Tablet Bidding
- June: AdWords Advert Labels Go Green
- August: AdWords Introduce Expanded Ads
- September: ‘Possum’ Update
- September: Demographic Targeting for Search Ads
- September: Penguin Goes Real-Time
- October: AdWords Introduce Responsive GDN Ads
- October: PPC Mobile Message Extensions Available
- October: GDN Gets Keyword Targeting
- November: RIP Vine
- December: Bing Introduce Expanded Ads
Whether you use the above to recap the year or swat up to impress, a lot has happened in 2016 with Google Search and it doesn’t end there. 2017 already holds exciting developments including a redesign for Google AdWords (woohoo) and also some changes to local search ads using promoted pins, so stay tuned as we’ll have updates all year round.